Becoming an SCL Associate
SCL Associate Values
- Vincentian spirit: We live and act with humility, simplicity and charity.
- Service: We strive to meet the critical needs of God’s people and the Earth.
- Collaboration: We work with others in support of Jesus’ mission.
- Courage: We act boldly and with integrity.
- Compassion: We respond to others with mercy and love.
- Witness Gospel values.
- Meet the needs of God’s people, especially those who live in poverty.
- Gather in community to share times of prayer, service and friendship with Sisters and other SCL Associates.
SCL Associates come from and serve in different parts of the United States and Peru.
|New Mexico, USA||1 SCL Associate|
|North Carolina, USA|
Peru (South America)
- Are Christian women or men at least 18 years of age.
- Are financially independent of the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth Community.
- Complete the formation and application process.
- Make a formal, written commitment; annually renew this commitment on the Feast of the Annunciation (March 25); and review it in depth every four to six years and renew.
- Are committed to personal spiritual growth.
Initial process, invitation
A Sister or qualified SCL Associate places a person’s name in nomination to the Regional Associate Leadership Team. If approved, the nomination proceeds to the Director of Associates, who obtains approval from the Community Director and SCL Council Liaison. Next, the nominee completes an SCL Associate Interest Form. The Director of Associates reviews the completed form and accepts the inquirer as a Candidate. The Regional Associate Leadership Team identifies a Sponsor for the Candidate. The Sponsor serves as a guide through the Come & See formation process and a connection between the Candidate and the Sisters and Associates during this time.
Come & See is the year-long, initial formation period during which Candidates meet with their Sponsors, SCLs and other SCL Associates to discern if God is calling them to the Associate relationship with the SCL Community. During this formation, the Candidate learns more about the SCL Community. There is also the opportunity to share in the community experience of Associate members, including service, prayer and social gatherings. When the Candidate completes formation, the individual begins a final discernment process with her/his Sponsor. If the Candidate discerns a call to be an Associate, the person completes an application for review by the Director of Associates and the SCL Community Director. Upon approval, a ceremony occurs to formalize the commitment and welcome the new SCL Associate.
Director of SCL Associate Program – Coming soon