Statement of Purpose
The Archives of the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth (SCLs) is the official repository of the records of the Community. It has a duty to preserve, protect and make available its holdings for use within the Community as well as externally. The Archives provides a historical record of the lives and work of the Sisters and serves as the institutional memory.
The Archives of the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth is a private archive and as such access to the records is controlled. Certain records are restricted based on the content, status, and/or age of the records or to protect information based on canon law or state and federal mandates.
The Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth Archives contains records from:
- Healthcare work – including hospitals, clinics, the SCL Health System, and more, owned and/or operated by the Community
- Social work – including orphanages, foster programs, refugee resettlement programs, work with the homeless, work with low-income housing programs, and more
- Education – Including elementary, middle, and high schools operated by the Community, Saint Mary College, and more.
These records also cover relationships in the various states where the Sisters have served over the years – Montana, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, California, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Wyoming; as well as foreign countries – Guatemala, Peru, and Bolivia.
The SCL Archives strives to respond to distance requests to the best of our staff’s ability. For those wishing to research archival materials in person we require an appointment in advance.
Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth Archives Collection Scope
The archives of the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth collect material pertaining to the lives and works of the Community. The archives holdings include the personnel files of the individual Sisters, missions in the field of education, spirituality, healthcare, and social services. The Sisters have served in Kansas, Colorado, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and South America among other locations.
List of Holdings
The archives of the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth (SCLs) are the official repository of the Community’s records and provides a historical record of the lives and works of the Sisters.
The archives’ holdings comprise eight major areas:
- Administrative records of the leadership of the Community – consisting of paper and electronic holdings.
- Materials relating to the lives of the Sisters including individual Sisters’ files and records regarding general life in the Community – consisting of paper and electronic holdings.
- Spiritual Life recording the Sisters’ religious activities – consisting of paper and electronic holdings.
- Records of the various missions and ministries which have been staffed and/or materially supported by the Community – consisting of paper and electronic holdings.
- Artifacts – two and three-dimensional objects which reflect various aspects of the Sisters’ lives, works, history, and spirituality.
- Artwork – various two and three-dimensional artworks created by the Sisters, gifted to them, or purchased, reflecting the work, lives, and spirituality of the Community.
- Audio-Visual material – videos in various formats reflecting the lives, works, spirituality, and activities of the Sisters – including but not limited to: Masses, oral histories, and anniversary celebrations. Audio materials in various formats also reflecting the lives, works, spirituality, and activities of the Sisters – including but not limited to: oral histories, audio correspondence, spiritual conferences, and music performances.
- Photographs – photos spanning nearly 160 years showing the lives and works of the Sisters, the missions and ministries, leadership, and spirituality of the Community.