Bishop John Baptist Miege invites Mother Xavier Ross and the Sisters of Charity to “Come north” from Nashville to the pioneer territory for which he was responsible.
Nov. 11, 1858
First Sisters of Charity arrive in Leavenworth, Kan.
March 8, 1859
Sisters open St. Mary’s Academy for Young Ladies, Leavenworth.
March 15, 1864
Sisters open St. John’s Hospital, Leavenworth, the first civilian hospital in the territory of Kansas.
The first group of Sisters respond to the call to serve in Helena, Mont. In subsequent years, the SCLs establish ministries or serve in California, Colorado, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Wyoming.
St. Mary’s Academy opens at a new site in Leavenworth (location of current University of Saint Mary); operates as a high school until 1950.
Jan. 6, 1916
The SCLs dedicate Annunciation Chapel in Leavenworth.
Sept. 10, 1923
SCLs open St. Mary’s Junior College in Leavenworth.
St. Mary’s expands to a four-year college.
Nov. 11, 1940
Community dedicates new Mother House.
Nov. 8, 1963
SCLs establish their first Latin American mission in Peru. In subsequent years, SCLs serve in Bolivia, Ecuador and Guatemala.
The Community dedicates Ross Hall as the retirement center at the Mother House for SCLs.
Dec. 12, 1972
Hospitals formerly operated by the Sisters are organized into a separately incorporated health system.
First Peruvian young woman enters the South American novitiate.
SCLs begin Associate program.
SCL Community joins Federation of Congregations of Charity, network of other Sisters of Charity with Vincentian roots (today’s Charity Federation).
New Marillac Retreat Center opens on Mother House campus
Hermana Susana Córdova becomes the first Peruvian Director of the Latin American Missions.
Cristo Rey Kansas City High School begins as newest SCL sponsored ministry.
SCLs name Terri Butel first lay director of SCL Associates.
First SCL responds to call for mission service in South Sudan.
Sept. 25, 2011
SCLs transfer sponsorship of Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth Health System to Leaven Ministries, new public juridic person.
Sept. 30, 2015
New Ross Hall opens.
SCL Community participates in international observance of 400th anniversary of Vincentian charism.
The SCL Community celebrates the 160th Anniversary of the pioneer Sisters arriving in Leavenworth.
- History of the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, Kansas,Sister Mary Buckner, SCL. Kansas City, Mo.: Hudson-Kimberly Publishing Co., 1898.
- We Came North, Centennial Story of the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, Sister Julia Gilmore, SCL. St. Meinrad, Ill.: Abbey Press, 1958.
- We Heard the Call, The History of the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth in Latin America, 1963-2003, Sister Rose Dolores Hoffelmeyer, SCL, 2005.
- Emerging Frontiers, Renewal in the Life of Women Religious, Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, 1955-2005, Sister Marie Brinkman, SCL. Mahwah, N.J.: Paulist Press, 2008.
- History Highlights, updated 2018.