Two hospitals formerly owned and operated by the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth are marking anniversaries this year.
Community Medical Center, Falls City, Neb., is observing its centennial with a special celebration this month (Oct. 19). In 1940, the SCL Community purchased a private 40-bed hospital in the Nebraska town. Our Lady of Perpetual Help Hospital was solemnly blessed on Sept. 24, 1940. The Sisters staffed the hospital until July 1955. The Falls City community assumed ownership of the facility. To read highlights of the history, click this link. For the history specific to the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, click here. (Photo above from at 1955 open house.) See more photos below, compliments of SCL Archives.
On Oct. 2, the Herald Democrat newspaper posted an article titled “Sisters of Charity come to Leadville to start hospital.” The article provides a history of St. Vincent’s Hospital, Leadville, Colo., from its founding in 1879 to the current day marking of its 140th anniversary. Click here to read the article.