Founders’ Day 2018 takes on special meaning this year as the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth (SCLs) mark the 160th anniversary of the arrival of the first Sisters in Leavenworth, Kan.
“Grace has its moments” – a quote of St. Vincent de Paul to whom the SCLs trace their roots – is the theme of this 160th anniversary year. Local observances will occur across the country, in Peru and in Italy where Sisters serve. In the Greater Kansas City Area and Leavenworth, a number of events will mark the founding.
- Friday, Nov. 9, 2:45 p.m. – Cristo Rey High School, Kansas City, Mo., will host a prayer service at Redemptorist Church that will include a presentation of its annual Founders’ Awards.
- Saturday, Nov. 10, 10 a.m. – Sisters and SCL Associates will gather for “Prayer Service at the River,” Kaw Point Park.
- Sunday, Nov. 11, 10:30 a.m. – Founders’ Day Mass will be celebrated in Ross Chapel, SCL Mother House, Leavenworth.
- Sunday, Nov. 11, 7 p.m. – The University of Saint Mary will host its annual Founders’ Day Concert in Annunciation Chapel on the Leavenworth campus.
- Monday, Nov. 12, 11 a.m. to noon – Sisters and students will mix and mingle in The Learning Commons at the University of Saint Mary and enjoy refreshments.
This summer on Aug. 1, a daylong gathering at the Mother House attracted Sisters and SCL Associates for prayer and celebration. At the conclusion of the anniversary Mass that day, the three living Community Directors blessed a Kentucky coffeetree that is now planted on the property. A display in O’Shea Conference Room in the Mother House includes photos of the 18 Mothers Superior/General and Community Directors who have led the SCLs over the past 160 years. Accompanying each photo are “moments of grace” experienced during each leader’s tenure in office.