Payroll and Benefits Specialist
Impelled by the love of Christ, the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth (SCL), a Roman Catholic congregation of women religious, offer every loving service in our power to meet the critical needs of God’s people. Established in 1858 in Kansas, the Sisters of Charity live our mission in the spirit of our founders: St. Vincent de Paul, Louise de Marillac, and Mother Xavier Ross. The Sisters, as Gospel-centered women, share a tradition of responding to the needs of the time, ministering to the vulnerable and marginalized, and caring for the fragile Earth. We share our mission in partnership and collaboration with those committed to working for peace and justice.
Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth is looking for a full-time Payroll and Benefits Specialist to join our Human Resources team.
The Payroll and Benefits Specialist coordinates employee payroll and benefits processing. Maintains payroll records, including employee data, payroll tax information, payroll statistics, benefit deductions, and payroll checks. Acts as liaison with 3rd party payroll processor.
The ideal candidate will have prior experience with the implementation of HRIS/Payroll platforms and recent high-level experience with ADP and Employee Navigator. This candidate will have a passion for process automation and be committed to providing exceptional service to our employees.
- Processes paperwork for new employees, terminations and status changes and enters information into the employee database/payroll system.
- Processes benefit forms to include data entry into the payroll system and benefit provider websites.
- Creates new employee files, weekly filing of employee related documents.
- Verifies attendance, hours worked, and pay information and posts in designated records.
- Computes wages and deductions and enters data into the payroll system.
- Processes biweekly payroll and submits data to payroll processor.
- Troubleshoots payroll issues.
- Issues and records pay adjustments related to previous errors or retroactive increases.
- Records and tracks leave time, such as Paid Time Off, personal leave and FMLA.
- Maintains filings of government forms such as I-9s and EEO-1 forms, archives forms according to Federal guidelines.
- Processes garnishments and child support orders.
- Submits payroll reports to accountant for General Ledger journal entries.
- Prepares and submits billing documents and/or fund transfer data for payroll transactions.
- Prepares biweekly retirement plan funding reports and uploads data to the provider website.
- Assists Director of HR with retirement plan audits.
- Creates and prepares reports from the employee database for various requests (e.g., benefit premiums, employment verifications, unemployment claims, salary surveys, ad hoc reports).
- Generates Benefits Separation and COBRA Notices for terminated employees.
- Distributes eligible petty cash to employees and reconciles petty cash account balance.
- Deals discreetly with sensitive and confidential employee relations, payroll, and benefit information.
- Assist in the search for and implementation of a new HRIS/Payroll platform.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Human Resources or Business degree preferred.
- 5+ years of payroll processing experience, preferably with ADP products.
- Strong verbal, written, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of current Federal, State, and local payroll taxes.
- Strong MS Excel, Word, and Outlook skills.
- Ability to perform sedentary work, sitting at desk and/or typing for long periods of time.
- Occasionally lifts up to 25 pounds.
- Stoops or bends while accessing files.
- Finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination are necessary in operating computers and calculators.
If you are a motivated individual passionate about process automation and delivering exceptional service to employees, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity. We offer competitive compensation and benefits packages. Please submit your resume and cover letter for consideration.
We are committed to ensuring the diversity of our team. While not a minimum or mandatory qualification, we strongly encourage candidates of color, those who identify as Native American, women, people of low-income backgrounds, and those who are differently-abled to apply for this role.